EVAPCO’s commitment to providing 100% fully-rated equipment led to the development and execution of an extensive adiabatic pad test program, the results of which are contained in the research paper, Adiabatic Fluid Coolers & Refrigerant Condensers: Impact of Pad System Design on Saturation Efficiency and Unit Operation.
The contents of this paper are being presented at the February 2019 CTI Conference. This research paper is provided as a valuable resource to help become educated on adiabatic pad saturation efficiencies and their impact on fluid cooler and condenser sizing.
EVAPCO discovered a surprisingly wide range of claimed saturation efficiencies while investigating pad designs and suppliers for use in the eco-Air product line. Many equipment manufacturers utilize high saturation efficiency values [90%+] claimed by the pad manufacturers in their unit’s design – leading to smaller initial unit selections. As a result, the customer ends up paying MORE in water & energy costs due to inadequately sized equipment. Unfortunately, no test code currently exists for adiabatic products – therefore, the comprehensive technical understanding provided in the report is very important for engineers and end users.
The Attachment #1 suggested test specification uses the recently adopted CTI Test code for dry fluid coolers to be certain all suppliers are providing sufficient dry coil surface.
The intent of this research paper is to:
- Explain in detail adiabatic cooling & saturation efficiency
- Study the effect of variables commonly believed to impact saturation efficiency
- Determine the impact of saturation efficiency on unit sizing and operation
- Share detailed test results to support stated observations and conclusions
- Provide recommended specification language and parameters to owners/end users and engineers to hold equipment suppliers accountable
- Reinforce the importance of specifying optional field performance tests to ensure suppliers provide fully rated equipment
Download the EVAPCO research paper, Adiabatic Fluid Coolers & Refrigerant Condensers: Impact of Pad System Design on Saturation Efficiency and Unit Operation.